- minutes of ad-hoc gathering
Office of Joyce Best
Attending: Joyce Best, Principal
Lance Abernathy, Athletic Director
Nancy Hutchens, Booster Board: Membership
Sara Metzger, Cougar Wear
Melanie Robertson, and Rebecca Tucker
Monthly Booster Board meetings will be held at 5:30pm on the Second Monday of each month in the Alumni Conference Room. It is requested that Ms. Best and Lance Abernathy attend these monthly meetings, and if unable, to assign an assistant principal or head coach to attend. It was suggested that all head coaches be invited to attend, as they will be asking for proceeds from the fund-raising efforts of the Booster Club.
Next meeting will be March 14th at 5:30 - Alumni Conference Room
Today's discussion included:
1. How a master calendar (tri-fold project board perhaps) to visualize the dates that concessions would be beneficial to the athletes and guests of sporting events. There is a master event calendar on the school website that Lance keeps up to date with all athletic events. Consider either:
- full concession
-outside vender (food truck) for a fee. What if: one vender "bought the rights" to sell at all softball games - for example. Booster club gets $ and vender does the work. There appeared to be much desire to keep thinking about this option for underserved teams, and perhaps as an additive for small turnout games.
2. How to best "require" parents of athletes to step up and volunteer. Lance suggested making a clear $ amount to be immediately placed into the concession host team's fundraiser account once they work the concession and sell 50/50. He feels this will be very motivating.
3. Ms. Best clarified, that the change in the way 50/50 tickets were sold and proceeds accounted for, was for transparency. There had been accusations of win rigging, and tickets to proceeds imbalances. Upon investigation, evidence suggested there was a pattern to support the accusations.
4. Melanie suggested that perhaps the Booster Board could be restructured into Captains in charge of certain areas, and Team Captains stepping up to help organize the parent participation. She also suggested that quarterly Booster meetings should be open to all parents of athletes (which may bring more participation)
5. Lance advised that spring sport teams will have individual team meetings, and a Booster representative should be at them to assign a Team Captain - gather emails - and talk about the boosters.
- girls soccer meeting: Tuesday 23rd at 5:45pm @ visitor side stadium seats
- Softball meeting: Wednesday 24th at 6pm @ Vance Elementary
6. There are many opportunities for the future, and many ideas need fleshing out with a fresh perspective. Ms. Best is very hopeful that she can attend all future meetings, as she noted that the Athletic Boosters can affect students across the entire school, unlike the band or other clubs.